WALKHAMPTON - St Mary
Situated on a hilltop half a mile from the village, St Mary's church, with it 85 feet pinnacled tower, dominates the surrounding landscape. The church, of local granite, originated in 1259 though most now dates from the 1450s. There are fine examples of a squint, font and piscina which all probably date to the 1450s. In 1755 Dean Milles wrote "There is nothing observable on ye inside of the church". Since then the interior has become even plainer - gone are the plaster coverings to the walls with painted scriptures, Royal Coat of Arms and the Ten Commandments as well as the singing gallery. These were all taken away when it was heavily restored in the 1850s by public subscription and the Lopes family. The carved furniture and pulpit were all made by the vicar, the Revd Charles Walker between 1863 and his death in 1909. The organ is an early example of the work of Hele of Plymouth. The stained glass is by Ward & Hughes, James Paterson and James Powell.
The bells were cast by Pennington in 1764 and 1769. A cracked bell had to be recast in 1957 and the frame was renewed in 2008. The church is no longer opened during weekdays but the key may be obtained from the churchwardens