HORRABRIDGE - St John (now the United Church of Horrabridge)
A chapel had been built in Horrabridge by Buckland Abbey around 1256. After the Dissolution a pair of cottages were built on the site. These were pulled down in 1891 to erect the present church which was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter in 1893. The new church was built of local granite in the Perpendicular style and is probably the finest example of a smaller scale church by George Fellowes Prynne. About 1881 Caleb Chapple added a bell cote to house a single bell. The entrance porch is a later addition, again to a design by the architect.
The interior contains many unusual features and the wide Bath stone arches give a feeling of intimacy. Much of the furniture is to Fellowes Prynne's design. The font and rood beam were carved by Harry Hems of Exeter. The choir stalls, vestry screen and altar rails were the work of James Northcott, ecclesiastical wood carver, of Ashwater near Beaworthy. The pulpit is unusual in being of wrought iron with a brass and wood top. The interesting stained glass is by an unknown hand. As in most of the churches in this area, the organ is by Hele of Plymouth.