Burrington, Nr Umberleigh, North Devon

Burrington, Nr Umberleigh, North DevonHoly Trinity
Grade 1
4m NW of Chulmleigh

The building of Holy Trinity began around 1150. The oldest feature is the Norman font, which has now served for 32 generations. The north wall and part of the tower are 13th century with improvement and enlargement in the 15th century. There is a slightly later and exceptionally fine chancelscreen with eight bays, complete with three strips of ornament and cresting, decorated with carvings of flowers between the ribs of the coving. It has dark brown unceiled wagon roofs to the nave and south aisle, the latter with 38 angel figures bearing shields. There is an arcade of five bays with granite piers and four traceried Dartmoor granite windows in the south aisle. The heavy oak porch door reveals shot marks, possibly from Cromwellian muskets. There are two ‘green-men’, one of which can be found in the churchyard.